About Me

My photo
Mike Mehalek writes fast-paced lyrical books that can be enjoyed with one reading but have enough substance for re-reading. He brings stories to life that demand to be told, regardless of the hopes/dreams/fears/desires of his characters--the Story first--always the Story.

In 2008 Mike earned his masters degree in writing popular fiction from Seton Hill University

Visit Mike on twitter @mikemehalek

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Coming Out Day


Well as the last few grains of October 11 wind down on National Coming Out day, I pause and reflect on the amazing changes that I’ve seen in equality in my time.

Marriage rights in Massachusetts. Positive role models in fiction like Burt Humbol from Glee or Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter. Real life role models--Ricky Martin, Orlando Cruz, Neil Patrick Harris (he’s a magician too J), Anderson Cooper.   Brokeback Mountain. The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  Advocates like Lady Gaga and Adam Levine, who aren’t gay but fight for equality.

My original draft of this blog changed gears here, pointing out how much more fighting lay ahead.  I pointed out that we have a presidential candidate who said he would support an amendment to define marriage in our Constitution--clearly ignoring the precedent that the only amendment to date that infringed a person’s rights was repealed years later…But I dropped the negativity. 

Well I am trying to.  Why? Because today is a day to celebrate.

And for those of you who don’t see what there is to celebrate, or maybe tinkered with the idea of coming out today but whose courage ultimately fell a little short, let me attempt to offer some encouragement.

There's always next year.  It gets better.  I know if I could go back and tell my 18 year old self, I'd never believe it.  But it's true.  It gets better.

Don't take my word for it.  Here are some people way more intelligent than me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment